Saturday, August 26, 2006

The birds and the bees

I have survived the city, despite my husband's driving. He may be a native New Yorker, but plop him in Manhattan and he's a big "ooh, look at that!" which is not helpful when driving. We got honked at more than anyone can imagine. But, we lived. We toasted Sahara with Bellinis in a lovely cafe and later on, when headed downtown, drove past a restaurant called Sahara Grill, and vowed to take her there when she gets better... to get food poisoning so bad she might wish for the days of chemo! Sometimes you can just tell that a place has that certain, uh, funk.

Well, whatever. Sahara, when you're up to it, come to New York and we'll take you wherever you want to go. But a word of warning: no SuperTarget. We have OrdinaryTarget--but I'm sure you'll find plenty of places to shop.

We picked up Sahara's surprise, too. Any guesses?

It's been such a nice day! Cloudy, even, so we didn't blister in the Houston sun while we were out. We made it to Super Target and Sahara had a blast giving Shannon the grand tour.

Fortunately, we don't need the wheelchair anymore - yayyyy! I think for the first time in his life, he enjoyed a store. LOL. He is NOT a shopper...hates it and avoids it whenever possible,but he had a good time. Sahara should be the new Target spokesmodel. (btw...there are 32 checkout lanes, ladies.) We picked up a few essentials, a couple of shirts for Sahara, and sour gummy Lifesavers.

Her appetite has returned! She surprised us when we got back in the car by asking for lunch at Sonic. I thought her mouth would feel better by the weekend, and I'm glad to say I was right. She had a corn dog, tater tots and a watermelon slush - wooo hoooooo! She just finished a soft taco for dinner, too. PROGRESS!!! I love it!!!

To Pam R...may God bless you in every way, every day. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I am speechless.

Kathleen M. - thank you SO much! Sahara started singing "O Canada" when she opened the box!!! (She learned that at hockey games in Nashville and St. Louis...LOL!) What an amazing gift!!! She LOVES everything!!!

To the Bernets and the Kyles - you ROCK!!!

Jill B. - only YOU could think of such a cool photo opportunity!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Sahara has had so much fun with all of the photos you guys are sending of Rick, yourselves, your pets...thank you to everyone who has taken the time to send them! They are precious and wonderful gifts.

She's going to start scrapbooking, I think - the cool stickers and stuff along with the photos have really inspired her. :) Every gift and card she receives is a bright light in her day. I wish I had the time to individually thank and hug each one of you who has sent something out to Sahara.

Rest assured, she is SO grateful for everything, and I am continually brought to tears by your generosity. And I know that God smiles on each one of you for taking the time to do these things. You are all so very special and appreciated.

It is so great to see how happy Sahara is to have her dad around. They torment me and drive me absolutely nuts when they are together, but it is just the BEST.

I forgot to mention it last night, but Shannon drove through an enormous swarm of bees on the interstate somewhere in Texas yesterday. Totally freaked him out. First the bird, now the bees...I really think they're out to get him. Perhaps I should report these incidents to Tim Badore, a comedian who does a bit called, "When Animals Attack."

If any of you listen to the Bob and Tom morning radio show, you've probably heard Tim, and he is hilarious. :)

Time to surrender the computer to the next user. Blessings to everyone and have a great night!Love,
Amy