Saturday, September 29, 2007

Chasing thunder

It takes one heck of a man to share his 23rd anniversary message to his wife with the world. But since Shannon's at home with the sweet tea and good barbecue and Amy is in Haw--I mean Ore--I mean Namibia, yeah that's it, with Brad and Angelina...I'm working a little electronic magic tonight and sharing his words with all of you.

On the count of three, 1, 2, 3, ahhhhh.

For all his macho, sports-loving exterior, I do believe the man is a softie at heart.

For the past 15 months, we have been chasing thunder, until about three weeks ago, when we finally caught up to it. Since then things have started getting better. Every day in rehab, Sahara does something she couldn't do the day before.

Today, on our 23rd anniversary, she walked...for the first time in nine months. It took a lot of help, but she did it. She remains strong in spite of everything she's been through and she is still able to push herself to keep going. It's amazing to see the fight and determination still alive in her after all this time.

In my eyes, anniversaries are more important than birthdays or holidays. That's what makes it so hard to be apart for the second anniversary in a row. It's been nearly 25 years since the first time I kissed Amy. It was just like in the movies. My legs went weak, my stomach turned and I saw fireworks. And I knew it was true love. But I had no idea at that time how strong a woman she is. She is the strongest person I've ever met in my life, and she is truly the love of my life. Happy Anniversary...next year we'll hopefully be able to do something really special.

Love,
Shannon