Monday, December 18, 2006

Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea

Rhonda Hunt's wonderful photos are up on Rick Springfield's website. She captures the joy in her subjects. Case in point--check out this shot of Rick and Gramma Dooley. Could they be cuter?

The holidays are officially underway. Today, I listened to friends and colleagues trade tales of latkes; the concensus is that they're often left to the men. I love to eat them, but the thought of grating potatoes and onions for hours, by hand, does not thrill me.

I still remember my first latkes: I was in high school, and my friend Linda, who was Jewish, invited me to her synagogue for Shabbat services; the cantor was mesmerizing, but then after the service, we went to the dining room and I had my first warm potato pancake, with sour cream and applesauce. I couldn't wait to tell my mother. I also had my first eggplant that night. Let's just say it didn't make quite the same impression.

This year I am not baking Christmas cookies; last year I attempted spritz cookies with Splenda. I'm sure Santa heard the cursing at the North Pole. I put the remnants out for the birds and they flew far, far away.

If they're allowed on Sahara's eating plan, Whole Foods has marvelous little cookies and cakes. Of course, that's IF she and Amy are allowed back on the premises. They may need to send Shannon to pick up a carload of vittles.

What are you doing to celebrate the holidays? Last night, my husband and I went to a concert in a very old church and listened to a quartet sing carols. The tenor sang with such joy--absolute jubilation. This weekend, we'll head to Ohio to play with my brothers' kids. I can hardly wait.