Monday, August 13, 2007

What a girl wants, what a girl needs

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I...oops, you caught me. My vacation is officially over and I'm heading back to the office in just a few hours. It's been a very full week. Highs, lows, three novels, a giant lobster, and catching up on sleep. And, since Thursday, a double dose of prayers--A, for Sahara, who set a goal, and as you'll see below, achieved it...and B, for my best friend of more than 20 years, who found out this week that he's very sick. We're all reeling...but after the initial shock, I'm shifting into the "Follow Sahara's lead" mode. If she can kick it, so can he.

At any rate, if all of you would trust me on this and add Greg to your prayer/karma/wish list, who knows what might happen. This year, I've learned to believe in miracles, so why not again?

And speaking of miracles...

Hello, everyone!

Saturday morning, Sahara woke up at 6:30 am, and said, "Mom, I feel good today. Let's go to Tunica. I want to see Rick." I was floored...she had felt like crap all week and I truly didn't expect her to be able to go to a concert. I had to do a load of clothes and a million other things before we could leave! I hadn't packed to go anywhere other than the hospital since last year.

It was 12:30 before we finally hit the road. We had a perfectly wonderful trip, and for a moment it was just like old times.

We got to Sam's Town just as Rick was getting ready to go to soundcheck. I thought Sahara might want to rest for a while, but nooooo...she was ready for some fun. We went with Rick to the showroom, and all of the guys in the band were so glad to see her. We chatted for a while, then they had to get down to business. After they were finished, we went to dinner at Twain's, the steakhouse at Sam's Town. It was very nice, and we discovered that Sahara likes asparagus. Loves it, actually. I couldn't believe that she was eating it, but today she had me put it on the grocery list. She told me she thinks she's turning into a vegetarian. HA!

After we ate, we ran to our room to change. Sahara was so excited to dress up in one of the cool new tops that Pamela brought her from New York for her birthday. She looked great...and so happy. :)

We went back to the showroom and got our seats, which were to the far left, about the 6th row. I'd asked for a place that would be easy to get out of should she decide that she was ready to leave early. But in true Sahara fashion, she stayed for the entire show and loved every minute of it. Rick was fabulous as usual and really had the place rockin'.

Afterward, we said
our almost-tearful goodbyes backstage. It was so good to see Rick and the band...what a terrific group of guys. It was so much fun. Sahara really needed this little trip.

After a decent night's sleep, we grabbed some breakfast before getting back on the road. Several folks came up to us this morning, all sporting Sahara bracelets, telling us that they are still praying and hoping for our miracle. It was really nice...there are so many sweet people out there rooting for Sahara, and we are grateful to all of them!

Our trip home was smooth as could be. I think we were both surprised that we were able to travel and take care of everything pretty much as we always do. It's amazing how we can adapt, isn't it?

Rhonda Hunt took these photos - doesn't she do great work? Thanks, Rhonda!!!

And after more requests than I can count, photos of the new bathroom are included for your viewing pleasure. LOL. A HUGE THANKS to everyone who attended the Milwaukee fundraiser! Love built this bathroom for Sahara!

Have a great week!