Monday, January 07, 2008

A fresh start

I can't think of a way to start this without whining. I wanna go back to Florida! I want this blasted crud that's invaded my respiratory system to just go, already. I'm being good, getting rest, vitamins, and taking my medicine, but this flu is a tenacious little beast. I wanna go back to Florida and rest under a palm tree.

The good news is, I've got lots from Amy, so I'll shut up and try to imagine this morning's sunrise behind a bunch of palm trees. Wah.

Hello, everyone, and happy new year to all of you.

We survived Christmas...thanks to being far away, in the sun, where we could relax, think and just stare at the water for a while. We went to Key Largo, and the little resort we stayed at was truly a slice of paradise. It was small and private and absolutely gorgeous.

For a while, we were anonymous, and I think that's what we needed as we tried to clear our heads. We had the best seafood, and I was delighted to have key lime pie for dessert each evening. :)

New Year's Eve was actually the most difficult part of the holidays for me. At about a quarter til midnight,I began to cry...and I bawled my eyes out for about an hour and a half. Knowing that the year was ending, replaying so many defining moments in my mind, and simply not having Sahara here to toast at was incredibly hard.

We always toasted with Coke in wine glasses...LOL. Afterward she would run out on the deck and scream "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" at the top of her lungs. She loved that little tradition. I did too.

Somehow, we're putting one foot in front of the other and are living through the days. Saturday marked two months since she passed away. Those monthly anniversaries are really going to burn for a while.

We're both staying busy with work, and that is a good thing.Thank goodness Upward basketball started on Saturday! Our Lady Comets won their first game, and all of the girls played great and had so much fun. Shannon coached that game, then reffed five more games after that. He was beat when he got home late in the afternoon - but he had a blast with all the kids. It was a wonderful day. So many people came up to us, talking and remembering how much Sahara enjoyed basketball...and how GREAT she was at the game. She was deeply missed on the court. But I know she was there in spirit. It was tough at times, but I know that's where she would want us to be on Saturday mornings.

Also on Saturday, I had a WONDERFUL pair of visitors, Sahara's dear friends Caroline and Lexi (and Tanda,too :). They brought me some cookies and hung out for a while. I thank God that Sahara had such great friends as these. I love you guys so much!!! I'm constantly blessed by Sahara's friends...I get the best hugs when we see each other around town, and I received some wonderful Christmas cards with such heartfelt writings (a special thanks to are a sweetheart). It all helps and means so much.

Y'all take care and have a great week!

With love,