Thursday, February 15, 2007

The brain drain

Okay, who's the nitwit who sent me all this snow and ice? Well, not so much snow, but I'm not loving the ice at all. The older I get, the more it terrifies me. Regardless of the frigid weather, I'll be headed south tomorrow evening. For all of you traveling to AC, happy trails. Come say hello. I am truly awful with names, so be gentle with me.

And finally, here's the latest from Amy. Whew!

Hello, faithful bloggers,

I know you're all wondering and worrying about Sahara. We've had a very hectic few days and the stress level has been high. Last week an MRI showed that she had fluid building up in her brain, and it was unable to drain itself naturally. It was causing a multitude of problems and a whole lot of misery for her, and it was time to get it in check. This week she had surgery, and received a ventricular-peritoneal shunt (VP shunt, for short). The shunt drains the fluid from her brain into her abdomen. She woke up smiling in the recovery room! It has already given her so much relief, and she is feeling better each day. She had to have half of her prized new hair shaven off, much to her dismay, so now she wants to get it ALL taken off so she can just start over. LOL. Seriously, though, she is doing extremely well and recovering quickly.

She'll be receiving intensive physical and occupational therapy over the next few days, so that will keep her busy. She's been stuck in the house for so long, I think she's glad to have the chance to do something different, even though the circumstances that got her to this point really suck.

I know that many of you are going to be in Atlantic City this weekend, and we wish we could be there, too! But we'll definitely be participating in spirit. Thank you for being there for Sahara, and have a BLAST at the Rick shows. While you're there, please thank Pamela for being the goddess that she is, keeping Sahara's public informed about her progress. She is one of the most spectacular women I've ever had the privilege of calling my friend. And hug Helaine for being an amazing firecracker of a woman, getting so much done for Sahara's sake. I can't thank you all enough.

Thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers. It has been a tough couple of weeks, but the strength we have around us keeps carrying us through the hard times.

With love,
Amy