Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flies

Oh no, it hasn't really been nearly a month since we popped our heads up to say hello, has it? Tempus fugit, my Latin teacher used to say, and back then, I'd sit in class, staring out at the waving grass, frisbees whizzing by in the air, dogs yapping along bicycles, barking at the spokes, and I'd think "Not in this class, it doesn't."

Well, it does now. Amy and I have both been super busy at work lately, and now that summer weather is here, we're both spending time admiring the roses and floating away in our pools. She and Shannon are well; and we're all good here in New York, after a couple of scary moments.

For those of you celebrating father's day tomorrow, make it meaningful in Shannon's honor. I know we pick on Shannon here now and then (and he secretly loves it, I'll bet) but the one unwavering thing I can tell you about him is this: the man is an exemplary father. He gave Sahara such a powerful start in life--running alongside her for every step, giving his full A-game. That's how it should be done.

This is a man who won't look back and say "I wish I had____________." So follow his lead. Talk with them, play with them, read with them, pray with them--and love those kids with everything you've got.