Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Season for Sahara

Lest anyone thinks Amy's been lying in a heap on the gymnasium floor after all that running back and forth on the basketball court, I have to confess. She wrote this several days ago. But I've been too wiped out to post. The good news is, I think my doctor has finally come up with the combo of magic meds to send this cold/sinus monster on its merry way. The bad news? It's taking my brain and typing fingers for a bit of a wild ride. Wheeeeee!

I'm spending the evenings just staring at the tv and wondering if it has always been so intellectual and fascinating. And I'll think the word beverage and type the word bunting.

So, I've spared you all the joys. I seem to be lucid at the moment, which probably means it's time to slurp down more cough syrup.

I hope all of you got the chance to see Rick Springfield on Oprah this week. Not only is the man a talent, he's got a huge heart for his family and his life. I'm always struck when people who are blessed understand that--and are amazed by it themselves.

Well, it's finished. The most difficult basketball season ever because Sahara wasn't on the court...or was she? The Lady Comets ended their spectacular season on Saturday with a perfect record of 8-0. The Southeast Missourian did a great job of covering the story and I was so surprised to see it on the front page Sunday morning. http://www.semissourian.com/story/1313644.html (Thanks, Lindy!)
There's also a photo gallery online at
http://www.semissourian.com/gallery/saharateam/

It was an emotional weekend for all of us. We have the most wonderful group of girls, all of whom are so different, yet when they are playing it's all about the team. I've never witnessed such unselfishness, week after week. We are so proud of all of them. I know Sahara is, too. Thanks to everyone who came out to watch the girls play this season.

Most people know that Sahara's number was 21.
We won yesterday's game by 21 points.
Brittany Perkins, (who also wears #21 on her school team) scored 21 points in the game.
We took the girls to see Sahara's beloved Lady Redhawks play Saturday night. They won their 21st game of the season.

Oh yeah, I believe that Sahara was definitely with us. :)

Last night we went to the Upward awards ceremony and it was really nice, yet it was tough, too, because it was the first time I'd sat in the sanctuary of Lynwood Baptist Church since the day we celebrated Sahara's life there back in November. I could picture everything from that day...the flowers, the photos, the mementos, the balloons, the faces of the people we love. I know I'll never look at that room in quite the same way.

I managed to get away last weekend for a quick trip to Nashville, and I'm so glad that I did. I went to see Rick play two nights at the Wildhorse. It was so nice to see so many people that I had not seen in so long. Rhonda, Cindy, Sherry, Paul, Kathleen, Tracy, Stephanie, Stacey, Beth...it was great talking with all of you...and thanks to everyone who came up and gave me a hug and said hello. I truly appreciate all of you and I'm glad you still read the blog. :)

Although he wasn't ready yet, and the band hadn't even heard the song (imagine their surprise), on Saturday night Rick sang the song he's written for Sahara. It's going to be on his new album, which they will begin recording next month. The song is called "Saint Sahara" and he has truly outdone himself with it. I'm glad that I had already heard it before Saturday night, or I would have been crying even harder than I did. LOL. When it's recorded and ready, you all will have a chance to hear it. I can't wait. It's such a sweet tribute to her, and I know that she is getting a kick out of having her own song.

Have a great week!

With love,
Amy